United Nations Dateline
1 Sep 1966 - The UN is a vast centre of information about politics and technology, human rights and peace-keeping, hunger and plenty. The words "United Nations, NY” appear almost daily in thousands of newspapers around the world. This progmmme takes the viewer into a vital, but rarely--seen part of the UN -- the realm of the "newsmakers". It is a backstage tour with the men and women who get the news, write it, film it speak it, and televise it.
Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhin in Concert
1 Nov 1994 - The highlight of this memorable musical program is a rehearsal and performance by these two famous musicians of a new "raga" specially composed by Shankar.
The Most Beautiful Place on Earth
1 Dec 1969 - "The most beautiful place on earth"... that's Laurence Gould's description of Antarctica, a continent, he first saw in 1934 when he was second-in-command to Admiral Byrd in the flight across the South Pole.
A City with a Future
1 Oct 1973 - Man Builds, Man Destroys: A major UN series of 30 films dealing with our global environment and what man is doing to it.
1 Apr 1977 - A lesson in international economics with a sense of humour. Sitting around a gaming table, members of the Richard Morse Pantomime Theater act out the moves of international trade using toys, modles and specially designed playing cards. As they play, economic concepts suddenly become easier to understand and the injustices of the present system become apparent. An entirely new game is proposed. The original moves re-played but in a new spirit and with a new set of rules based on the ideas behind the New International Economic Order. At the end, the narrator stresses "that this just a game” but perhaps some lessons can be drawn from it.
- The AV Library has over 6,330 hours of historical content in 35,16 and 8mm film and 49,400 hours of video stored in its off-site archives.
- To find out more about digitizing this historic UN footage, please contact us.
- Over 18,000 hours of audio in a wide variety of formats are available in our off-site archives.
- Currently, 200 of the 1,000 available historic UN Radio Classics are now available for download on this website.
- In 2013, an independent producer helped to digitize over 100 UN Concerts.
- To find out more about digitizing these historic UN recordings, please contact us