Indigenous Voices at the United Nations
1993 - In 1993, through resolution A/RES/47/75 the UN General Assembly proclaimed the International Year of the World’s Indigenous People with the aim to encourage a new relationship between States and indigenous peoples, and between the international community and indigenous peoples — a new partnership based on mutual respect and understanding. The year was requested by indigenous organizations and is the result of their efforts to secure their cultural integrity and rights into the twenty-first century.
"Hymn to the United Nations" a Poem by W.H. Auden
19 Nov 1971 - Poet W.H. Auden reads his poem "Hymn to the United Nations" which was performed days earlier on the occasion of the 26th anniversary of the United Nations, on October 24, 1971, by Spanish cellist and composer Pablo Casals. Commissioned by UN Secretary-General U Thant.
International Women's Year 1975
1975 - A look at 1975, a historic year for women's equality.
The Way of the Dinosaur
1983 - This film examines our relationship and reliance on oil.
- The AV Library has over 6,330 hours of historical content in 35,16 and 8mm film and 49,400 hours of video stored in its off-site archives.
- To find out more about digitizing this historic UN footage, please contact us.
- Over 18,000 hours of audio in a wide variety of formats are available in our off-site archives.
- Currently, 200 of the 1,000 available historic UN Radio Classics are now available for download on this website.
- In 2013, an independent producer helped to digitize over 100 UN Concerts.
- To find out more about digitizing these historic UN recordings, please contact us