DRC / TEDROS EBOLA ATTACKS

11-Mar-2019 00:03:07
The World Health Organization’s Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus today visited an Ebola treatment centre in Butembo, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, that was attacked by armed groups last week and again earlier today. WHO
Size
Format
Acquire
441.44 MB
HD PAL
212.43 MB
SD PAL
441.69 MB
HD NTSC
DESCRIPTION
STORY: DRC / TEDROS EBOLA ATTACKS
TRT: 3:08
SOURCE: WHO
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH /NATS

DATELINE: 6-9 MARCH 2019, BUTEMBO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
SHOTLIST
6-8 MARCH 2019, BUTEMBO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

1. Pan rights, Butembo panorama
2. Tilt up, an elderly man walking with stick across field
3. Various shots, Ebola Treatment Center
4. Various shots, burnt section of the ETC

9 MARCH 2019, BUTEMBO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

5. Pan left, Tedros and others standing at the table
6. SOUNDBITE (English) Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization:
“I would like to express how saddened I am due to the attack this morning and also the life we lost.”

6-8 MARCH 2019, BUTEMBO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

7. Drone shot, ETC

9 MARCH 2019, BUTEMBO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

8. SOUNDBITE (English) Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization:
“That can show us in what condition you’re working. I would like to say once again how proud we are of you seeing and witnessing ourselves the same day actually an attack happening and seeing the dedication you have to finish this outbreak.”
9. Cutaway, WHO Staff in audience
10. SOUNDBITE (English) Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization:
“We’re at a pivotal moment in this outbreak and all partners will not relent until we put an end to this outbreak.”
11. Various shots, Tedros with families of killed policeman and nurse
STORYLINE
The World Health Organization’s Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus today visited an Ebola treatment centre in Butembo, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, that was attacked by armed groups last week and again earlier today.

Tedros spoke with personnel in the centre and said “I would like to express how saddened I am due to the attack this morning and also the life we lost.”

Conveying condolence to families of killed health and security workers, Director-General said these attacks show us in what conditions you’re working. I would like to say once again how proud we are of you seeing and witnessing ourselves the same day actually an attack happening and seeing the dedication you have to finish this outbreak.”

The visit came as he concluded a three-day mission to the country, along with senior US officials and other WHO leadership. They met with the President, government officials, partner organizations and local responders involved in the outbreak response. He spoke to a group of partners, officials and staff in Butembo on Saturday (9 Mar) morning.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo is facing its tenth recorded outbreak of Ebola. This outbreak began in August 2018 and is occurring in a part of the country that has been mired in conflict for years. This reality became starkly visible last week when armed groups attacked two Ebola treatment centres in the north east of the country.

The Ebola Treatment Centres in Katwa and Butembo in North Kivu province were attacked by an armed group a few weeks ago, forcing humanitarians to stop or reduce assistance.
Category
Personal Subjects
Source
Alternate Title
unifeed190311f